2022 North York Moors Art Award
North York Moors Trust Art Award – Past, Present, Future
Calling all painters, printmakers, photographers, and artists alike!
How would you capture the striking beauty and diversity of the North York Moors, from its deep wooded dales, to its vast expanse of moorland?
How could you portray the vibrancy of either its past, present, or future?
How would you depict the very essence of what it is or what it will become?
In celebration of the 70th anniversary of the National Park, the North York Moors National Park Trust are looking for an imaginative and visionary artist who can help tell the story of this dynamic place.
Submit your artwork today under any one of the themes of past, present or future and help us to celebrate all that the National Park has been, is and will be.
Exhibition of entries to be held Saturday 9 April until Sunday 22 May 2022
The exhibition is for paint medium (min 50% paint), print and photography created since January 2020 and must not have been previously commercially exhibited. The work must be of, or inspired by, the North York Moors National Park. Just one piece of work per artist may be submitted. All pieces must be available for sale during the exhibition.
All entries must be framed with a perimeter measuring no more than 400cm, landscape or portrait layout. Minimum perimeter 50cm.
The entries for display in the Gallery will be selected by a panel appointed by the North York Moors National Park Trust and the Inspired by… gallery.
All works will be judged on:
- Quality of artistic composition and design
- Creativity and originality
- Interpretation of the brief
- Statement of intent
The judges decision will be final. Work that has been selected for display must be delivered to the Gallery on Monday 4 April and remain in the gallery until the close of the exhibition in May, unless sold.
The following prizes are offered:
1st Prize Photography: £500
1st Prize Paint Medium: £500
1st Prize: Print Work: £500
Young Persons Work: £250 (ages 12-18)
Gallery Supporters Choice: £250
Audience Voted Choice: £250
- Initial submissions are online only. Artists should complete the online application form. Two images are required in pdf or jpg format only. Maximum upload per file is 2Mb
- The panel will review all digitally submitted work and selected pieces will be asked to display their piece in the Inspired by… gallery
- Artists will be required to delivery their piece if chosen to the Inspired by… gallery on Monday 4 April 2022 and collect unsold pieces on Monday 23 May 2022
All work must be labelled on the reverse with artist name, title or artwork and contact details. Separate labels will be created by the gallery for display purposes.
35% of the selling price will be the commission fee. All proceeds from commissions go towards the cost of hosting the event.
There is an entry fee of £10 or £5 for full-time students. Fees are non-returnable and paid at the point of online application. Free entry for those aged 12-18. Payments should be made by PayPal, a link will appear once your submission has been made.
- Entries open for 2022 Art Award
Monday 28 February 2022
- Closing date for entries
Monday 7 March 2022
- Closing date for Young Artist
Week Commencing 14 March 2022
- Exhibition entrants notified of next round acceptance
Monday 4 April 2022
- Artists to deliver exhibits for display to Inspired by… gallery 11am – 1pm only
Saturday 9 April 2022
- Art Award Exhibition opens
Friday 20 May 2022
- Art Award 2022 Prize Giving
Monday 23 May 2022
- Artists collect any unsold piece 9.30am – 11.30am. Pieces not collected within 3 months will not be stored.
The Moors National Park Centre and Inspired by… gallery are in the north of the National Park, less than a mile from Danby village. Danby station on the Esk Valley Railway is a 20 minutes pleasant stroll away on footpaths.
There is a pay and display car park.
Terms and Conditions
- The Art Award is open to both professional and amateur artists, with no restrictions based on background or training.
- Submitted artworks must have been created since January 2020.
- Submitted artworks should represent the brief of Past, Present or Future.
- Artists can submit one piece of either print work, photography or paint medium (this can be mixed media, acrylic, oil or watercolour, providing it is a minimum of 50% paint)
- The maximum dimensions of the perimeter of each artwork is 400cm. The minimum is 50cm.
- Single artworks that are either diptych or triptych will be accepted, providing they do not exceed the maximum dimensions. Please note that such artworks will only be sold as a single, whole artwork, not in their individual parts.
- Quality of overall presentation and framing is essential.
- Artists should provide two supporting images of the piece they are entering.
- The Artist must hold all moral and intellectual property rights.
- By submitting an entry form, The Artist agrees that if their work is selected, it will form part of the exhibition and be available for sale during that exhibition.
- The Artist agrees that the organisers will take a commission of 35% for any item sold.
- The Artist agrees that the organiser will take payment for sold artworks and, once payment is received, will pay The Artist minus the 35% commission on total sale price.
- The Artist agrees to collect any artwork which is unsold.
- The Artist agrees that the organisers will not be liable for any loss or damage to any artworks outside of the gallery. The organisers recommend that The Artist takes out insurance to cover the artwork, especially in transit.
- The Artist accepts that the North York Moors National Park Trust may reproduce work (at no fee) for any purpose required for marketing of the exhibition, for this or any future Art Award. This may include digital, print or online, but excludes resale.
- In the interests of fairness and impartiality, if any applicant contacts any of the judges prior to the announcement of the final decision, their entry will be disqualified.